Friday, January 18, 2019

The Beginning and the End

My school district hosted our All-Districts music festival last Friday. Before I made my way over to the high school to help out and observe some master conductors at work with the best and brightest high school musicians in the area, I held a before-school beginning band rehearsal for our first concert. It went well, as I expected it to. The kids have been working hard in their group lessons, practicing at home, and taking risks to help them improve their playing. We're taking on the beginning band classics, Hot Cross Buns and Mary Had A Little Lamb, and playing We Will Rock You for a fun ending that's a bit more relevant to pop culture. Our two "harder" songs have four notes each. This is absolutely normal and developmentally appropriate for beginning band, given our rehearsal schedule and the age of the students.

The All-Districts band I got to watch, on the other hand, was playing dozens of notes. They took on some amazing rep, including Wagner's Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral and a very difficult Persichetti piece. The chorus, orchestra, percussion, and jazz ensemble were likewise grappling with challenging music, pieces which represent significant artistic achievement in their respective musical fields.

It's fascinating to see the differences in these two groups, and the similarities. "Breathe together to play together", a phrase my beginning band students have heard enough to finish for me, doesn't just apply to fifth graders. Students talked and laughed together during breaks, just as my students tend to do. They left instruments in precarious positions, just as my students do.

For many of the All-Districts students, they're at or near the pinnacle of their musical journeys - for some, even near the end - while my fifth graders are just beginning to understand and experience band. It's gratifying to see where they're going musically, that their potential in six or seven years includes more than five notes and making beautiful music together. But it's also helped me to see the beauty in simplicity, in getting students to play simple music really well. So much of the limited district rehearsal time was spent on fundamentals, things that my students are already working on. Playing a scale in tune is hard! It takes years of practice! But it's important, even if it's not immediately gratifying. Good beginnings are so important in music, so that students can excel when they get to All-Districts or just life beyond elementary school band. It's not about Hot Cross Buns, it's about building the skills to go beyond the basics later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Look at DESE's Cited Sources: Results of a Critical Look at the Initial Reopening Guidance References

Note: I've been doing a lot more work around education safety lately, but moved it away from this blog. I founded Massachusetts Educatio...