Saturday, September 22, 2018

Another September

I'm three weeks into the school year, and time has flown by. With assemblies, instrument rental night, meetings, and coordination between schools, it seems like I've spent more time at work than not. But things are good, I finally feel like the coming week will be more about teaching than managing logistics.

For me, September is always a complicated month. I love the start of the new school year, a chance to start fresh and improve. It's always refreshing to see students' friendly faces again after a couple months away. But it's also a time of change, and I've never been super excited for change. I'm working with a bunch of new colleagues this year - they're great, but it's different than last year - and some district systems are new. I started taking a new grad class (which seems good so far and can't possibly be worse than the last one) so that's another transition.

But every September ends (cue the Green Day song...) and a new normal starts. I'm more relaxed with my students this year, and they seem more relaxed with me. This is my third year at my current school, so I think part of it is comfortable familiarity. Planning lessons has gotten way faster for me, and I've accepted that I'll always spend a little bit of time grappling with spreadsheets. I'm really grateful to be in a place where for the most part I can focus on teaching my students. I have a budget that gets me what I really need, and supportive supervisors. I don't have to give standardized tests or teach in a substandard space not suitable for human occupancy.  Things are good, even when they aren't great.

And so as another September comes to an end, I'm settling in. It's going to be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Look at DESE's Cited Sources: Results of a Critical Look at the Initial Reopening Guidance References

Note: I've been doing a lot more work around education safety lately, but moved it away from this blog. I founded Massachusetts Educatio...