Thursday, July 5, 2018

Books in the Elementary Music Room: I'm Here by Peter H. Reynolds

When I went to shop at Blue Bunny Books recently, I figured I'd go home with at least one book by the shop's owner, Peter H. Reynolds. I had read The Dot before and students at my school do art projects relating to it, so I wanted a different book to use in the music room. I found exactly what I was looking for in I'm Here.


With simple language and evocative imagery, the book is a first-person narrative of a child trying to find their place in the world. The imaginative illustrations and straightforward text, this book tells a story that will touch hearts and minds.

I plan on using this book as the basis for a student-created soundscape. In a soundscape, students make musical sounds and movements that match a story or idea. For example, the book's phrase "gentle wind" might be represented by wind chimes, or a student making a blowing sound or moving gently across the room. Because the story is short, and the sounds needed range from very literal to more abstract and challenging, there is an opportunity to allow students to choose their own challenge by picking which part of the book they want to soundscape. I haven't decided which grade to use this book with yet, but my process will look a bit like this:


  1. Read the story to students
  2. Have the class come up with a "scope of work" by listing the sounds/ideas that should be represented by music or movement
  3. Read the book again, have students revise the scope as needed
  4. Have each student/partnership pick a part of the book to soundscape and plan how to represent their part 
  5. Students share their idea with another student/partnership, giving feedback to each other and revising their ideas as needed
  6. Student practice/revision time, I check in with them to guide as needed
  7. Read the book with soundscape as a culminating in-class performance
I highly recommend this book! While it will be interesting to look at in a musical context, this book has a lot of lessons beyond the music room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Look at DESE's Cited Sources: Results of a Critical Look at the Initial Reopening Guidance References

Note: I've been doing a lot more work around education safety lately, but moved it away from this blog. I founded Massachusetts Educatio...