Monday, December 10, 2018

The Hills and Valleys of December

Teaching in December is:
a. exciting
b. exhausting
c. frustrating
d. all of the above

Today was a long Monday, and last week was one of the toughest weeks of teaching for me ever. Teaching in December is different from the rest of the year. Not worse, exactly, it's fun to see the kids excited and there's lots of cool events happening, but it's tiring. That hundredth time asking kids to quiet down isn't quite as gentle as the first time. The fifth time kids start randomly singing jingle bells in the middle of another song isn't as endearing as the first time. There's so much joy, so much energy, and so much to do in too little time. December is like a microcosm of the school year, with lots of highs and lows and sugar crashes and drinking too much coffee (or is that just me?).

The best moments, though, come at those times of exhaustion and frustration. I've been using the last few minutes of my music classes to work on songs for our December singalong. We do a big all-school pajama day before break, and I like to do a few non-traditional songs that require the kids to learn a bit of choreography and some short tunes. It's fun, no pressure, and gets us all dancing our way into break. And just when I'm about to remind a student about behavior for the tenth time, they'll perk up and join us in snow hands or "shine fingers" (yes, I renamed jazz hands) or some other silly movement. There's magic in all that energy, in having 20 kindergarteners shove peace signs as close to your face as they can from their seat because they're SO EXCITED about a song they're doing with the "big kids".

I'll be spending the next 9 school days looking for those magic moments, and surviving the frustrating times in between. And then I will take a very long, well deserved winter break nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Look at DESE's Cited Sources: Results of a Critical Look at the Initial Reopening Guidance References

Note: I've been doing a lot more work around education safety lately, but moved it away from this blog. I founded Massachusetts Educatio...