Sunday, November 25, 2018

Thankful

This Thanksgiving break, I've been reflecting on the good in my teaching situation. It's very easy to get caught up in the "could be" "should be" mentality, and while there are things that could be improved, I'm really lucky and have a lot to be thankful for:

  • I'm thankful that all students in my school have music taught by a trained music teacher.
  • I'm thankful that my school has a music room (a lot of schools don't), a dedicated space for music making.
  • I'm thankful that I have supportive colleagues I can confide in.
  • I'm thankful that my students have instruments to play, and that they're able to experience a wide variety of high-quality instruments in music class.
  • I'm thankful that grants help me get more instruments for my students and replace those that are worn or damaged.
  • I'm thankful for the enthusiasm of my students.
  • I'm thankful for supportive families who bring students to outside events and rehearsals beyond the school day.
Things aren't perfect in my school or any other, but I'll be going back to school tomorrow filled with gratitude for what my students and I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Look at DESE's Cited Sources: Results of a Critical Look at the Initial Reopening Guidance References

Note: I've been doing a lot more work around education safety lately, but moved it away from this blog. I founded Massachusetts Educatio...