Friday, September 28, 2018

Singing, Self-Care, and Sick Days

With late September comes changing weather, and with changing weather comes lots of germs! I'm unfortunately sick already, and took today off so I could rest and get better. I taught a solid 8 hour day yesterday, and my voice was pretty much gone by the time I left. I debated trying to tough it out, but quickly realized that wasn't a smart choice.

I always feel guilty taking sick days, but they're necessary. I am genuinely sick, sneezing and aching and exhausted. But self-care is necessary. I need my singing (and speaking) voice not just for today, but for another 170-ish days of the school year. Toughing it out usually just makes me sicker once I get to this point, and the school year is a long game. I wrote a sub plan and put in my absence. My students will see me next week, and we'll manage to learn what we need to and catch up from a week away from regular music class.

Self-care is important, necessary, and sometimes requires teachers to be out of the classroom for the sake of their physical or mental health. Sickness happens to everyone, and there's no reason for teachers to feel guilty about taking sick days they've earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Look at DESE's Cited Sources: Results of a Critical Look at the Initial Reopening Guidance References

Note: I've been doing a lot more work around education safety lately, but moved it away from this blog. I founded Massachusetts Educatio...